Award at a Glance
Award amount: First place: $1,000 + complimentary registration to EB + up to $250 travel reimbursement and a ticket to the annual CV Section banquet. Second and Third place: $500 + complimentary registration to EB + up to $250 travel reimbursement and a ticket to the annual CV Section banquet.
Application deadline: November 19
Questions? Contact: Sections Administrator
Who can apply: APS member in good standing with a primary affiliation with the Cardiovascular Section and should be classified as a graduate student (or equivalent) with an academic institution or in industry.
The Cardiovascular Section Outstanding Graduate Student Trainee Award was founded by the APS in 2017. The award recognizes outstanding graduate student trainees who are on a trajectory to make meritorious contributions to the scientific areas represented by the Cardiovascular Section of the APS.
Selected finalists for the Outstanding Graduate Student Trainee Award will orally present their research in the Cardiovascular Section Young Investigator Competition to determine placement.
- Be a member in good standing with a primary affiliation with the Cardiovascular Section
- Be classified as a graduate student (or equivalent) with an academic institution or in industry
- Upload full application to the APS Awards website
- MUST submit their abstract via the Experimental Biology Registration website under the Cardiovascular Section Featured Topic, “Cardiovascular Section Young Investigator Competition” to be considered eligible for these awards. Applicants that do not submit under this featured topic will not be eligible for these awards
Application materials include:
- Letter from advisor, postdoctoral mentor, or Department Chair supporting the candidate
- Biosketch in the current NIH biosketch format including descriptions of the applicant's training plan, how this training plan will help them address important unanswered questions in cardiovascular physiology, service to APS/CV Section, and significant contributions to cardiovascular research
- Abstract number
- PDF of abstract submission
- Abstract First Author’s full name
Awardees will be selected on the basis of:
- Oral presentation in the Young Investigator Competition
- Potential for development into an independent investigator
- Their ongoing and proposed future areas of investigation relate to the Cardiovascular Section
- Service to APS and Cardiovascular Section will also be considered
The awardee must attend and present their research at the Experimental Biology meeting and attend the Cardiovascular Section Banquet to collect the cash prize. The awardee will be recognized at the Cardiovascular Section Banquet during the Experimental Biology meeting.
Applications are only accepted via online submission.