Award at a Glance
Award amount: $500 + EB advance registration fee reimbursement
Application deadline: December 6
Questions? Contact: Karen Sweazea, PhD, CEPS Award Chair
Who can apply: Graduate and postdoctoral trainees who are first authors on the abstracts presented at EB. Either the applicant or the sponsor must be a member in good standing of APS.
The Comparative and Evolutionary Physiology Section Travel Award sponsored by Dr. Dolittle recognizes an outstanding graduate student or postdoctoral fellow (completed PhD within the past 5 years) involved in comparative and evolutionary research. This award is designed to assist the award recipient to attend the annual APS Experimental Biology Meeting. One travel award will be made each year based on those abstracts/blogs judged to be most meritorious. Awardees are recognized at the Comparative and Evolutionary Physiology Section Business Dinner at the 2020 EB Meeting. The winning blog will be posted on Dr. Dolittle’s website.
- Graduate student or postdoctoral fellow (completed Ph.D. within the past 5 years) involved in comparative and evolutionary research.
- Either the applicant or the sponsor must be a member in good standing of APS.
- The applicant must submit a first-authored abstract to the EB Meeting under an APS Comparative and Evolutionary section topic category (1096-APS to 1104-APS) and a 450-850 word blog.
- The blog should explain, in lay language, (1) what the findings are; (2) why they are important; (3) what they contribute to our understanding of science; (4) and whether the results came as a surprise or were expected. All entries should be accompanied by a relevant image or video which helps to tell the story behind the study, the researcher, or the science itself and a completed Blog Compliance Form & Source Reference Sheet. The site, Pro Blogger offers a variety of suggestions about how to craft a good blog.
- Awardees will be allowed to only receive a CEPS Travel Award once as a graduate student and once as a postdoctoral fellow.
Abstracts and associated blogs will be reviewed by the Comparative and Evolutionary Physiology Section Award Committee. The Committee will evaluate the submissions and choose one winner based on:
- Scientific merit and abstract quality
- Message appropriate for the public
- Creativity and originality
- Accuracy of scientific content
- Technical merit
- Overall artistic value
Blog/Image/Video must NOT contain:
- APS logo, name, or website
- Copyrighted material, unless it is owned or licensed by the contestant or in the public domain
- Trademarks of any third-party
- Third-party voiceovers
- Third-party stock photos, artwork, video, or sound unless it is licensed by the contestant or in the public domain
- Nudity, lewd or vulgar behavior, offensive language and/or gestures
- Exploitation or mistreatment of humans or animals
- Contestants must have appropriate permissions to film on sites (e.g., campus, departmental buildings, laboratories)
- No laboratory animals can be used in filming without written permission of the institution and IACUC approval
- Each contestant may submit only 1 blog per year. Entrants submitting more than one blog will have all their submissions disqualified
- Vocals and titles must be made in English or subtitled in English
- Submissions must be original and unique. Submissions that appear to be duplicates will be disqualified. APS reserves the right to reject entries that, after examination, appear to infringe the rights of any third party without notice to the contestant(s). Modified versions of professionally produced works will be disqualified. Submissions cannot be derivative works from original works created by persons or entities other than the contestant(s)
- Abstract Number
- Abstract First Author’s Name
- pdf of Abstract Submission
- Abstract Sponsor or Advisor’s Full Name
- Abstract Sponsor or Advisor Phone and email
- Proof of student status
Other Requested (not required) Documents
- Abstract Sponsor or Advisor’s APS Membership ID Number
Applications are only accepted via online submission.