The rank of Fellow of the American Physiological Society (FAPS) is an elite member status reserved to honor distinguished leaders who have demonstrated excellence in science, have made significant contributions to physiological sciences and related disciplines and have served the Society. The designation of Fellow is an honor and shall remain valid for the duration of APS membership. Candidates should consider the advancement to Fellow status to be an opportunity to become more active in the internal affairs of the Society, including serving in a leadership capacity.
- Entitlement to use the designation of FAPS to represent outstanding achievement
- Recognition by the society in various public forums
- Framed certificate of recognition
- Fellow lapel pin
- Crystal award
Annual application deadline is February 3.
Candidates may apply or be nominated by any active APS regular or emeritus member who is well acquainted with the candidate's professional activities and volunteer involvement.
For consideration for FAPS status, candidates must:
- Possess regular and/or emeritus member status for at least fifteen (15) consecutive years postdoctoral prior to the year of nomination
- Include two (2) written recommendations from active APS regular or emeritus members
In addition, meet four of the six prerequisites below:
- Demonstrated Society Service: APS Council or Committee, Advisory Group or other Panel or Editor-in-Chief, Deputy Editor or Associate Editor in any APS-affiliated publication
- Independent Grant Support/Funding: Serve as Principal Investigator or peer-reviewed extramural research support from a nationally-recognized agency (i.e. NIH, NSF)
- Publications: Demonstrate consistent scholarly production in the form of journal articles and/or book chapters with at least three articles in APS publications
- Administration: Serve in a leadership position in academia, industry or government
- Public Service: Provide unpaid service in physiology and/or medicine to the community (i.e. scientific study section, PhUn Week service, etc.)
- Teaching: Demonstrate leadership in local, state or national instruction in physiology or medicine (i.e. scholarly activity in education, recipient of a teaching award, developed new courses, authored/edited a textbook used at multiple institutions, etc.)
- Click "Apply Now"
- Click "Log In" with Your APS Account. If you've forgotten your password, it may be reset on the login screen by clicking "Forgot Password".
- Once logged in, select "Apply for Myself Now" or "Nominate Someone Now"
- If you are applying, the next screen will take you to an overview of your profile. If there are any missing fields within your profile, you will need to select "Update Your APS Profile," complete the missing fields and "Save"
- Once you've saved your profile, select "Continue Application"
- Select "APS Fellow (FAPS) Nomination - 2020 - Due 2/1/2020" from the drop down menu and click "Continue Application"
- Finalize your application and select "Submit My Application"
Can We Reach You?
APS is making exciting changes and we want you to stay informed. Please update your contact information.Update My Account