APS Awardee Responsibilities and Tax Rules

Any payment by APS for an award which requires a service as a condition of the award (e.g., presenting an abstract, lecture, etc.) will be treated as compensation for services and will be subject to reporting to IRS as independent personal services.   Forms and instructions for completing the forms mentioned below are available from the IRS Website or by writing to the IRS.

In order to receive payment of any of the awards presented at the annual Experimental Biology meeting, completed tax forms must be received by APS by the close of business February 28.  If completed forms are not received by that date, payment will be sent to the awardee after the meeting.  If completed tax forms have not been received by APS by the close of business April 30th, awardee payments will be reduced by the applicable backup withholding rate.

Completed forms may be mailed to:

APS Business Office
6120 Executive Boulevard, Suite 600
Rockville, MD 20852-4911

U.S. Persons may also fax their Form W-9 to: (301) 634-7418.

Travel expense reimbursements will not be considered income and will not be reportable, provided that the amount is paid or reimbursed under the general accountable plan rules requiring (1) a business connection for the expense, (2) substantiation of the expense, and (3) return of any excess payments.
APS does not accept any indirect cost reimbursement.  

U.S. Persons (including resident aliens):

Awardees must provide identifying information to The APS.  U.S. persons (including resident aliens) must forward a completed W-9 Form to APS at the address or fax number above.  If Form W-9 is not received, payments may be subject to a 28% withholding tax.

Nonresident Foreign Individuals:

Persons participating in the Exchange Visitors Program must obtain written authorization from their Responsible Officer to engage in occasional lectures or short-term consultations involving wages or other remuneration. 

Any payment by APS to a nonresident foreign individual will be subject to NRA tax withholding and reporting. Withholding on the payment will generally be at a 30% rate.  This rate may be reduced or eliminated however, if there is an income tax treaty between the United States and the foreign individual's country of tax residency. To claim treaty benefits, an eligible individual must file Form 8233 with APS (or Form W-8BEN if no services are required as a condition of the award), which requires that the foreign individual provide a U.S. taxpayer identification number (ITIN) and identify the treaty article providing the exemption.  For further information, visit the IRS website for applicable instructions and publications.

Compensation payments to foreign persons will be reported by APS to the IRS on Form 1042-S, Foreign Persons U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding, under Income Code 16 as "Compensation for independent personal services." Nonresident individuals may be required to file a Form 1040NR (U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return) or the simplified 1040NR-EZ with the IRS to declare the compensation income set forth on the Form 1042-S. The filing of Form 1040NR (or 1040NR-EZ) is generally required by April 15th of the calendar year following the year of payment. Filing may result in the refund of withheld amounts through the application of a treaty exemption, personal exemption, or certain other limited deductions.