In collaboration with numerous organizations and institutions, the APS develops innovative projects to support and promote excellence in science education, physiology research, and career development. These include professional development programs and curriculum development projects. The projects are sponsored by APS with additional support from federal agencies and private funders.
- Frontiers in Physiology: This program offers teacher professional development fellowships and creates teacher-developed lessons for wide dissemination.
- Physiology Understanding Week: This is APS’ annual outreach event bringing physiologists to their local schools and involving thousands of students in physiology activities and career exploration.
- LifeSciTRC Scholars: This teacher professional development program expands teachers’ skills in finding, creating, and sharing online teaching resources through digital libraries.
- Experimental Biology Teacher/Student Workshop: This annual event at the APS meeting, Experimental Biology, engages both high school teachers and students in exploring physiology through talks, experiments, exhibits, and lunch with a physiologist. Talks are converted to webinars for later viewing.
- My Health, My World: This project developed student-centered, hands-on science lessons for elementary students.